(Osgood, IN) – Southeastern Indiana REMC (SEI REMC) is urgently requesting that customers of the electric co-operative reduce energy consumption between the hours of 4 and 7 p.m. this afternoon and evening (Thursday, August 24).
During this period, there is expected to be a significant surge in energy demand.
SEI REMC says energy consumption reductions can stabilize the grid and ensure a steady supply of electricity for everyone.
Here are some tips to reduce energy consumption:
- Adjust Your Thermostat: Raise your thermostat by a few degrees during these hours. If you can tolerate it comfortably, setting it to 78 degrees or higher will significantly lower your energy consumption.
- Utilize Natural Ventilation: If the weather permits, turn off your air conditioning and open windows to let in cool air. Use fans to circulate the air and keep your home comfortable.
- Limit Appliance Use: Avoid running major appliances like washing machines, dryers, and dishwashers during peak hours. Opt for doing these tasks earlier or later in the day.
- Electric Vehicle Charging: Delay charging electric vehicles during peak hours. Program your charger to start after 9 p.m.
- Unplug Electronics: Many electronics consume power even when they’re turned off. Unplug devices like chargers, TVs, and computers to prevent unnecessary energy usage.
- Use Energy-Efficient Lighting: If possible, switch to LED bulbs, which consume less energy and produce less heat compared to traditional incandescent bulbs.
- Cook Wisely: Minimize the use of ovens and stovetops during peak hours. Consider using microwaves, slow cookers, or outdoor grills instead.
- Close Curtains and Blinds: Keeping your curtains and blinds closed during the hottest parts of the day will help reduce the heat entering your home, easing the burden on your cooling system.
- Limit Hot Water Usage: Reduce hot water consumption during peak hours. Consider shorter showers or using cold water for certain tasks.
- Educate Your Family: Inform your family members about the importance of energy conservation during this period and encourage them to participate.
- Be Mindful of Lighting: Turn off unnecessary lights and take advantage of natural daylight to illuminate your living spaces.
SEI REMC says your efforts in conserving energy during this critical timeframe will not only benefit the cooperative but also help reduce strain on the overall energy grid.