Always a tough volleyball opponent, Hauser handed Jac-Cen-Del a loss Thursday in Osgood: 25-13, 26-24 and 25-13.
“Facing a powerhouse like Hauser is always daunting early in the season,” said Eagle coach Cat Schmeltz. “We played pretty close with Hauser in the first set, held a lead through much of the second set and played extremely well before losing a tough one, then the third set got away from us early even though we did battle back late. Overall, I am very proud of how we battled. We continue to make some mental mistakes that hurt us at times. For the most part, this group of kids continues to work extremely hard. They are learning to play together and it is evident with their play on the floor.”
Jac-Cen-Del reported stats:
- SERVING- Aundrea Cullen 13/14 with 3 aces, Julia Meyer 13/13 with 1 ace and Desiree Sparks 8/8 with 1 ace
- SERVE RECEIVE- Cullen 20/23, Brailea Kieffer 14/18 and Lexus Jones 14/17
- ATTACKING- Sparks 16/16 with 5 kills, Emma Newhart 13/16 with 5 kills and Karen Nuku 9/9 with 5 kills
- BLOCKING- Sparks 1 solo
- SETTING ASSISTS- Katelyn Wagner 11 and Newhart 5
- DIGS- Sparks 7, Jones 6, Cullen 5 and Newhart 5
The JV Eagles also fell 25-22, 25-16.
“Hauser is our biggest competition going into each season,” said JCD assistant coach Paige Simon. They excel in all areas on the court. Finding holes and smart plays against the Jets is always the game plan. These girls did a great job, especially in the first set, staying mentally and physically in the game and playing at Hauser’s level. The girls felt the pressure of a good team and made adjustments but struggled to keep themselves pushing forward resulting in mistakes. We have skills to practice and strategies to work on moving forward in our season.”
Jac-Cen-Del JV reported stats:
- Serving- Bailey Groth 11 attempts with 1 ace and Regan Richter 8 attempts with 3 aces
- Serve Recieve- Richter and Sophie Sullivan 16 attempts each
- Dig attempts- Richter 20, Sullivan 11 attempts and Brynn Negangard 6
- Blocking- Gracie Ahrens 5 attempts
- Attacks- Ahrens 6 attempts with 1 kill, Richter 5 attempts with 4 kills and Groth 4 attempts with 1 kill
- Setting- Groth 24 attempts with 1 assist and Negangard 17 attempts with 5 assists
We thank coaches Schmeltz and Simon for the information.