Braun Activates Storm Recovery Funds

(Indianapolis, IN) Indiana is expanding its response to last week’s severe storms and flooding, including emergency financial assistance for residents forced from their homes.

Indiana Gov. Mike Braun

Indiana Gov. Mike Braun. (File photo)

Gov. Mike Braun said Monday that state agencies remain deployed across Indiana as officials move from emergency response toward recovery in areas where floodwaters are beginning to recede.

The Indiana National Guard, Indiana State Police, Department of Correction and Department of Natural Resources are among the agencies working on active emergency response missions.

FEMA and the Indiana Department of Homeland Security are conducting damage assessments in affected counties this week. The state is also using damage reports submitted through Indiana 211 to help determine where additional state and federal resources are needed.

“As floodwaters recede in parts of the state, I will continue urgently deploying every available resource to help Hoosiers recover and make Indiana whole again,” Braun said.

Emergency grants available

Braun announced the activation of Indiana’s State Disaster Relief Fund, which will provide emergency aid grants of up to $5,000 for Hoosiers who need assistance.

The money is intended to help displaced families pay for necessities such as food and clothing. Residents seeking information about the program should call 211.

The Indiana Housing and Community Development Authority is also providing temporary housing grants for eligible displaced residents. The assistance can help people move from emergency shelters into hotels, apartments or other temporary accommodations.

Information about temporary housing assistance is available through Indiana 211.

SNAP benefits can be replaced

The state has also authorized replacement SNAP benefits for eligible recipients who lost food because of storm damage, flooding or power outages.

Affected residents must submit an affidavit within 10 days of the loss, and the loss must be verified. The affidavit can be submitted through the FSSA Benefits Portal, faxed to 888-436-9199 or delivered to a Division of Family Resources office.

Federal assistance being pursued

President Donald Trump previously approved an emergency declaration requested by Braun for Indiana counties affected by the disaster. That declaration allows the state to request direct federal assistance from FEMA for certain emergency protective measures.

Braun said the state plans to submit a request within the next two days for a Major Disaster Declaration. If approved, the declaration would make additional federal recovery resources available to affected Hoosiers.

The Indiana Department of Insurance and Attorney General’s Office are also working to help residents understand insurance coverage, address uninsured losses and avoid disaster-related scams.

State officials are encouraging residents who suffered storm or flood damage to report it through Indiana 211 so the information can be included in ongoing assessments.