Statewide — Small businesses are often targets for bad computer scams, which is why the Indiana Department of Revenue is encouraging businesses to keep their information safe along with following these helpful tips:
• Install anti-malware/anti-virus security software to all devices used such as computers, mobile and tablet devices, and complete updates often.
• Limit access to personal data to only individuals who have a business need to know should have access to sensitive information.
• Learn to recognize suspicious emails, how to respond to them, and always avoid clicking on any links or attachments within the email.
• Back up sensitive data to a secure, external source.
• Use strong and unique passwords. Passwords should contain at least eight characters, special characters, and keep unique passwords for each account.
• Use multi-factor authentication to add an extra layer of security that can stop identity thieves in their tracks.