As I am writing this article, the track meet scheduled for tonight has been cancelled. This is an athletic directors nightmare. This was a dual meet, so it probably will not be rescheduled. The season is too short and the open days are hard to find when two schools are involved. As a coach, I hated this because each meet was a tryout for the big meets that occurred later in the season. You have to send in entries to invitationals, conference meets, sectionals, etc. These are due a week in advance, and you can only list one alternate for each event, so you need to know your team real well so you can field a full squad. It is not like a regular meet where you can substitute right up until the race. One kid can only run in 4 events, so that limits you as well. If it is a relay and you run out of alternates, the entire relay team is scratched. So, again, when you lose a meet to a postponement, you have lost one of those trial runs to see which kids can be put in which races and do the job you want. On this particular night the forecast was for heavy storms, so keeping kids away from this weather is the best policy. You do not want a team to drive 40 miles to sit in the bus two hours while it storms and then drive back to the school when the rain fails to quit. I am sure track coaches all face this dilemma more than once in a year, and the better coaches figure out their lineups quicker and thus win more. Having many good runners also helps a lot.