Fire Chief Todd Schutte said the first call came in at 2:23 p.m. for a report of hay bales on fire on Tekulve Rd. Crews responded within three minutes and battled 25 bales that were up in flames.
Schutte said it began following a resident mowing grass near the bales. The muffler of the mower may have sparked the fire.
With assistance from the Eagle Fire Company of Oldenburg and Morris Volunteer Fire Department, the scene was under control at 5:09 p.m., the same time another call came in involving a field fire.
Batesville Firefighters responded to South County Line Road and extinguished the blaze that was sparked from burning brush.
The springtime can be dangerous for brush fires.
“This time of year, be aware of what is around you when your burning and pay extra attention to the wind,” Schutte said.