As we get closer to spring and outdoor activities, I remember going to the track one night for practice. As was the case when the sun got brighter and the grass started growing long and green, the kids would come to practice, take off as many clothes as was legal, and lay around as they waited for practice to start. This particular warm March day, the first kid to do this suddenly jumped up and said his back was burning. I sent him to the shower room to rinse off while I investigated the situation. Being an old farm boy, I quickly realized that they had put fertilizer and/or weed killer on the football field. It was a good thing I noticed or we would have had quite a few kids with chemical burns on their body. The young man who laid down had a little irritation on his exposed skin, but a quick trip to the school nurse stopped the burning before it got hold on him. After that day, the maintenance staff was put on alert and signs were posted and all the coaches were informed well in advance when this procedure took place. I can only imagine what a mess we might have had if I hadn’t known the signs of chemical burn. This is a good lesson for homeowners who have small children and pets and who use lawn services to take care of their yards. Keep a close eye on what is happening.